Guidelines for Re Opening Barber Shops
Business Operations and Environment
A. Evaluate the layout
1. Use every other chair or station or arrange seating at least 6′ apart to create separation.
2. Remove all item which can’t be sanitized from the service area (upholstered furniture, drapery, rugs, etc.)
B. Establish policies and schedules:
1. Stagger worker schedules. Staff who have fever or symptoms are not allowed to work until they have no fever or symptoms of COVID-19.
2. Consider making appointments to avoid overcrowding in the shops.(no more than 5 individuals per 500 sq. ft.)
3. Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before and after each client.
4. Have patrons wait outside or in their car until their time.
5. Have clients and staff to wear a mask.
6. Use a freshly laundered, freshly disinfected, or disposable cape for each client.
7. Sweep and dispose of hair clippings after every client. Do not use dust brushes.
8. Store used towels in separate closed containers.
9. Clean and disinfect all non-porous implements prior to each use (combs, shears, razors, blades,
10. Clean and disinfect all non-porous surfaces (chairs, headrest, doorknobs, countertops, pos
1. Put any new policies and procedures for staff or clients in writing.
2. Create and post signs or posters advising the public of new policies or procedures.
D. Products and supplies
1. Order personal protection equipment, primarily masks, client capes, gloves.
2. Maintain inventory control of tools and supplies to ensure availability when needed.
E. Cleaning and Disinfection
1. Deep clean and disinfect all fixtures, furnishings, equipment, waiting room, restrooms, etc.
2. Check and replace used HVAC and hair dryer filters.
F. Pre-screen appointment seekers/walk-ins (keep record of clients serviced & date up to 6 mos. for contact tracing abilities)
1. Ask: Have you traveled outside of the country or state in the past 14 days?
2. Ask: Have you experienced fever, cough, or trouble breathing in the past 14 days?
3. Services cannot be provided to clients answering “yes” to any of these questions.
G. Provide hand sanitizer application to each client before being seated.
Follow manufacturer’s directions and contact time requirements for disinfectant use and formulations.
Follow the CDC guidelines regarding social distancing.